Last Updated on
Have you just created your listing on Airbnb and you are wondering what to put in your Airbnb Welcome Basket for your first guests?
I remember when we had just started how happy I was to prepare little surprises for our future guests! Our guests were always grateful for the touch of attention!
Always go above the expectations of your guests is the best way to get those 5* reviews we all love!
Let’s see what are the amenities guests love the most when they get a Welcome Basket!
1- Welcome Book
What to put in your Welcome Book?
- house rules
- wifi passwords
- check-out instructions
- transportation information
- appliance instructions
- tips on restaurants
- tips of sightseeing
- some history of the area
- your contact number
- local food specialties
- your Social Media Pages where they can get the last news of your area
2- Food & Drinks
After a long ride or a flight, we all love to have something to eat and drink. Here is what you could have for your guests:
- little snacks, the best is if they are local snacks
- a jar with bulk ground coffee
- a jar with a bulk local tea leaves, green or black tea
- a bottle of fresh water in the fridge, mine is a reusable jar with water from my water filter
- some local organic fruits (if they don’t stay too long, otherwise it might turn bad if not eaten)
- you could even go above and beyond baking a cake for them if you like to
- a jar with bulk oat meal for their first breakfast
- a jar with a mix of different nuts
- a jar of local cookies
What should I put in a Welcome Basket for guests with dietary restrictions?
If the guests tell you beforehand that they are vegetarian, vegan or eating gluten-free only. I am sure that would appreciate if you add something especially for them in the basket.
You could even write a note saying, “here is something vegan / gluten free for you.”
I wrote a full article how to welcome vegan guests here.
Should I add something special in the welcome basket for return guests to my Airbnb?
For return guests you can provide an extra bottle of wine and maybe a coupon / free entry to something local.
They will definitely appreciate the gesture and come over and over again! They will even comment it to their friends and families.
3- Welcoming Note
Having a personal note handwritten is something that guests will love, especially if they don’t meet you at check-in.
Even if you are welcoming the guest yourself, it’s always super nice to get a personal note when you relax in your accommodation.
4- Local postcards and maps
Having a couple of postcards will leave your guests delighted. You could even create your own postcards with the name of your Airbnb on it! You can get great word of mouth and free promotion of your place like this!
It’s a way for your guests to share your listing and be saved in wishlist of their family and friends!
A map with some local tips will be greatly appreciated as well!
5- Do I have to buy expensive things for my Welcome Basket?
Absolutely not! Most guests will be much happier with something special and personal than an expensive bottle of wine or champagne!
A welcome note is almost free!
Find some local snacks that guests would love!
Having just a basket with different local organic fruits isn’t expensive and is a nice surprise on arrival for your Airbnb guests!
The goal is not to affect your budget but to give your guests this extra attention from you.
6- Why should I have a Welcome Basket?
It’s a great way to boost your reviews.
As we say the first impression is the most important. That’s one of the first thing that the guests will get from their trip to your area!
It will be unexpected because not so many hosts on Airbnb offer a Welcome Basket. So your listing will stand out for sure!
It shows your guests that you are thinking about them, that you show them their value.
7- Should I put something special for families?
Having something special for the kids is definitely something that families will remember and it will make a great first impression.
Sometimes, families can be more demanding as they think about their kids’ safety first. So, this can help start their stay a great way!
My friend Katie who is a host by the Delray beach in Florida just did those lovely welcome basket for the 2 kids coming to spend some time in her property.
As you see you don’t have to spend much even if you do something even more special for kids. She invested in some things that could be used guests after guests.
8- Should I put something special for newlyweds coming for their honeymoon?
As you know a honeymoon is truly special and it’s something that friends and family will want to know about when they come back.
Putting some thoughts in your welcome basket for them is definitely worth it!
Here are some ideas of things you could prepare for newlyweds:
- a bottle of champagne with 2 nice glasses (be careful for liability though as it’s alcohol!)
- a handwritten congratulations note/card. you can even personalized it to your own place, so that they might want to take a picture of it!
- some chocolate
- a banner written “Best day ever” you could personalize the banner yourself to have your Instagram name on it to get free promo when they take a picture next to it! or just find it on Amazon
- put some petal roses from the bedroom door up to the bed, you can take them from your garden or find silk ones here
- a large homemade cupcake with a card, be sure to have your name somewhere for the free promo when they take a pic! (I know I said it already twice in this list, but I want you to make sure you get more direct bookings!)
- offer a free breakfast on the first day
Need Help Standing Out? Introducing the Free Webinar From Burning Out to Standing Out
Over to you, do you have a Welcome Basket? What do you have inside?
Please remember to pin me!
I’m Natacha, a French vegan Airbnb host who has been working online for the past 4 years. I help hosts stand out and make more money online so they can have a good work-life balance!
Want to get your Welcome Book?
Be an Insider of our Airbnb VIP Tribe!